VIDEO: Back to School/Back to Life: The Whole-Brain Child with Dr. Erin Cantwell

If you missed Back to School/Back to Life: The Whole-Brain Child with Dr. Erin Cantwell on August 13 or would like to re-watch it, you can find the recording here!

In this fascinating webinar, Dr. Cantwell of CARE-LA discussed the way your child’s brain and body can work together in the most functional way through a process called integration. She introduced twelve brain-based strategies that will help parents respond to behaviors in the moment and promote brain growth.

Here are just some of the great strategies she covered:

• “Feelings are a state, not a trait.” Dr. Cantwell recommends encouraging your child to use “I feel” instead of “I am.” For example, “I feel sad.”

• When asking your child to complete a task, use statements instead of requests; any request can be answered with “no,” leading to more frustration for you.

• Validate your child’s feelings and experiences. Even a statement as simple as “I’m sorry you feel sad that we can’t go to the park right now” will help your child feel heard.

• Create a picture book with your child to help them work through their feelings and the events in their lives. This is especially helpful for children with limited use of verbal language.

Watch the video here:

Don’t miss the next event in the series, Responding to Trauma with Dr. Katrina Rydzewski. On Friday, September 10, at 10:00 a.m. PDT, Dr. Rydzewski will explain the impact of the Covid pandemic on reintegration in the classroom, and the world in general. RSVP here by September 8

Coming up:

Motivational Strategies with Dr. Vivian Wang
Friday, September 24, at 10:00 a.m. PDT
Dr. Vivian Wang will provide tricks and tips for how to manage and overcome low motivation and difficult feelings and behaviors that come with changes in routine. 

Q&A with Drs. Cantwell, Rydzewski, and Wang
Friday, October 8, at 10:00 a.m. PDT

All three CARE-LA doctors will lead the final session together and will answer any questions you may have.

Be sure to check our new Instagram account (@undividedapp) for more content and RSVP info!

Other news